Different types of nonwoven fabrics serve different purposes including SSMS Non-Woven Fabric. Primarily, non-woven fabrics are used to replace traditional expensive fabrics because the production of non-woven fabrics is both easy and economical; this makes them an ideal replacement. They are also being used to replace toxic and harmful materials like plastic bags that harm our planet and the environment. Non-woven fabric factories are spawning left and suitable to meet up with the ever-increasing demand for non-woven fabric.
This also includes new players entering this domain who are neither experienced nor committed like incumbents of this industry. Therefore, industrial experts of non-woven fabric advise manufacturers of products that use non-woven fabric as a raw material to opt for experienced and seasoned manufacturers. Non-woven fabric consumers should ask their non-woven fabric suppliers to only provide them with raw materials manufactured by experts. As the use of different varieties of non-woven fabrics is in the medical industry, it is essential to never opt for non-woven fabric manufacturers manufacturing low or poor-quality fabric.
What is SSMS Non-Woven Fabric?
In the long list of non-woven fabrics, there is a fabric by the name of SSMS. As the name suggests, the fabric consists of four layers combined to form a single-layered fabric called SSMS non-woven fabric. The elemental composition of SSMS non-woven fabric is:
- The top layer of SSMS fabric is made of Spunbond non-woven fabric.
- The second layer is also made of the same Spunbond non-woven fabric.
- The third layer is made of Meltblown non-woven fabric.
- The fourth and final layer is made of Spunbond non-woven fabric.
All four layers are processed chemically, thermally, or mechanically, and the final result produces a single-layered SSMS non-woven fabric. The production process, which is usually cheap and affordable, is carried out in a number of ways. In one method, the entire process is carried out in a single machine that processes the fabrics simultaneously. Otherwise, the individual layers are subjected to a process that combines the different layers to form a single-layered SSMS non-woven fabric. However, the basic production combines both; the Spunbond and Meltblown manufacturing techniques.
If the process is carried out in a machine that performs all the steps simultaneously and only requires the raw material to be put in, it carries out the entire process in the following way:
- The entered raw material goes through extrusion melting.
- Then the molten mixture is filtered.
- Followed by metering.
- The next two simultaneous steps include spinning and cooling.
- Then the cooled fibres are stretched.
- The fibers are laid down to for the primary web.
- The fibers are then connected or combined by using thermal bonding. This step may vary as the bonding can also be achieved chemically or mechanically.
- In the final step, the processed material is cut to be packed.
Though the process may vary depending on the manufacturing process, the above-stated method outlines the basic manufacturing process. The SSMS non-woven fabric is very breathable and has excellent filtration properties. The fabric is quite comfortable and soft. There are numerous applications in which SSMS non-woven fabric is used. This includes:
- Used for the manufacturing of surgical drapes for various types of surgeries.
- Manufacturing of surgical packs that are used in a number of surgical applications.
- Manufacturing of surgical and protective gowns.
- Manufacturing of disposable baby and adult diapers.
- Manufacturing of feminine care products such as sanitary pads.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of facial and surgical masks. Due to the recently ensued global pandemic of COVID-19, surgical and personal protective masks are in high demand.
SSMS non-woven fabric possesses a number of qualities that make it suitable for a wide range of applications. Some of those qualities include:
- The fabric is quite durable and resistant to wear and tear due to its high tensile strength.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is quite comfortable on the skin despite its high strength.
- Cheap and easy to manufacture.
- Has good air permeability, making it perfect for facial masks.
- Non-toxic, bio-degradable, and environment friendly; this makes it an ideal replacement for harmful plastics.
- Hydrophobic. They have an excellent resistance to water, oil, and even alcohol which makes it ideal for industrial, medical, and clinical applications.
- Flexible and non-irritating. It can also be treated to become non-static.
- Treated to become antibacterial, UV resistant, dust and mite resistant, and non-combustible.
There is a high demand for disposable coveralls, protective clothing, disposable protective suits, hospital patient gowns, and protective wear. Protective and safe clothing suppliers are searching for ways to keep up with the increasing demand daily.
In the midst of the novel Coronavirus, everyone has become aware of the importance of wearing facial masks. Among the most popular facial masks, none is more popular than the n95 face mask. Face mask makers are looking for ways to manufacture this mask which is in high demand as it is considered the best mask available. The manufacturing of this mask again requires the use of non-woven fabric to be manufactured. Medical face masks and general face masks that are worn daily are also made from non-woven fabric. This adds to the value and importance of choosing high-quality non-woven fabric.
Ultimately, SSMS non-woven fabric has numerous industrial applications and its importance can’t be undermined. Spunbond non-woven fabric combined with Meltblown non-woven fabric in different ratios results in a wide range of non-woven fabrics, each serving a unique purpose and having numerous applications.